The assignment character in 3.9 and onward

Duncan Mak duncanmak at gmail.com
Thu Jun 8 15:40:01 UTC 2006

On 6/8/06, Ralph Johnson <johnson at cs.uiuc.edu> wrote:

> On 6/8/06, Klaus D. Witzel <klaus.witzel at cobss.com> wrote:
> > On Thu, 08 Jun 2006 13:33:55 +0200, Lic. Edgar J. De Cleene wrote:
> > >
> > > I wonder why not use <- , two characters as := , but closer to
> original
> > > idea.
>
> This is a bad idea, because you would be different from other
> Smalltalks for no good reason.  The right solution is to make the
> editor smarter.  That way you get compatibility AND a good user
> interface.

I agree 100%.

I'm surprised that no one mentioned it, but for me, a big reason why I
missed having the good ol' left arrow is because := just takes so many keys
to type.

I've been working on a patch to add a new keyboard shortcut to
ParagraphEditor to allow control-= to insert assignment. For now, I'll
definitely make it insert ':=', because that's the way things are going.

Duncan.