(no subject)

Hans-Martin Mosner hmm at heeg.de
Fri Mar 17 07:04:48 UTC 2006

Hello,
Wolfgang Helbig wrote:

>Subject: please stop sending messages
>
>Hi,
>
>Yesterday morning I asked squeak-dev-owner to stop flooding my account
>by repeating messages over and over again. It makes your mailing list
>totally unusable for me and threatens the usability of my email account.

Without looking at the actual log files on both the squeak list server
and ba-stuttgart.de's receiving mail server, it's difficult to tell what
went wrong.
Since nobody else seems to be having this problem (at least nobody
yelled about it), I am fairly sure that the problem is in the setup
between these two machines.
One possibility is that ba-stuttgart.de is trying to do greylisting by
answering with SMTP temporary error codes, but delivers the message to
the recipient anyway.
In that case the squeak list server is perfectly right in re-sending the
message (since it got a temporary error which tells it to do so).

However, as I said, without looking at the logs it's impossible to tell.

Cheers,
Hans-Martin