Cyrillic on Linux? Please help.

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Thu Nov 16 09:36:15 UTC 2006

Well, there are two parts to this - input and output.

First, make sure output works, that is, you can actually display
cyrillic glyphs. Look up the unicode code points, hand-assemble a
string, and display it using your font.

Once that works, you need to make the VM send cyrillic characters to
the image. I am not sure how well supported that is under Linux, yet.
I think it is still 8 bits, although you can choose the encoding.
This VM encoding must match the one selected in the image. This is
actually your best bet, other language environments do the same.

IIRC, the Mac OS X VM is the only one to date that actually can
deliver Unicode to the image, although it still takes a bit of
fiddling in the image to get it right.

- Bert -