[ANN] stable package universe for 3.9

Lex Spoon lex at cc.gatech.edu
Mon Nov 20 17:41:32 UTC 2006

"J J" <azreal1977 at hotmail.com> writes:
> Forgive my ignorance, but does every new version of a given package
> have to be republished in it's universe?  It sounded like that on the
> web page.  And if I have a universe already is there something like
> "apt-get update" for it?

Yes.  In fact, that is at the core of the system.  If you do not
publish Foo version X into a universe, then people using that
praticular universe will not even know Foo version X exists.

Thus, package universes do take work to maintain.  However, that work
pays off, in that you end up with a set of packages that have been
hand selected.

> In any event, it would be nice for seaside, pier and a few others to
> be on there so those packages could get rid of their own scripts (to
> make maintenance easier).

Hmmm, well, I might have to look closely at them if the install is
non-trivial.  Each of those authors, you know, is welcome to do it
themselves, too.  ;)

-Lex