release team proposal

Colin Putney cputney at wiresong.ca
Sat Nov 25 07:41:59 UTC 2006

On Nov 24, 2006, at 9:32 PM, Ralph Johnson wrote:

> I am far from a Monticello expert, but I have been looking at the
> code.
> It looks to me that class PackageLoader could be changed to load
> atomically.
> Basically, instead of making one pass through MCDefinitions (such as
> MCMethodDefinition, MCCLassDefinition and MCScript) and loading each
> one, the PackageLoader should first make a pass doing a preload and
> then
> a pass doing a load.  Classes will be loaded during the preload and
> methods will be compiled during the preload, but actually installed
> during
> the load.This would mean that you wouldn't run the compiler during the
> actualy loading of methods.  Something similar would have to be done
> for unloading.
>
> Do people who know more about MC than I do think this  would work?

Yeah, sounds reasonable.

For MC2, I created a package called SystemEditor that uses roughly
the same approach. It presents an "editing" interface with the same
protocol as the real system. I'm sure it's not quite identical, but
it's close enough that MC2 can have atomic loading turned on or off
with a one-line change.

It probably wouldn't be much work to make MC1 load definitions
through SystemEditor rather than SystemDictionary. More work would
have to go into SystemEditor to make it solid enough for production
use, but it's still probably less work than starting from scratch.

Colin