Strongtalk VM for Squeak [was: Squeak for the masses? [was: primitiveApplyToFromTo]]

Ron Teitelbaum Ron at USMedRec.com
Mon Sep 18 15:55:52 UTC 2006

Interesting questions.  I've been watching the Strongtalk group.  Does
either of these issues, reusing ObjectMemory, or having a smalltalk vm limit
in your opinion the benefits of the Strongtalk vm?  From Dan's comments and
from the apparent speed and packaging benefits I would think that we should
support a Strongtalk VM for squeak in what ever way they could provide it.

If we accepted that the base VM is C++ then couldn't plugins still be slang,
(or the slang plugins still be supported by the base Strongtalk vm) or is
this too much for the squeak community to accept?

Ron