VNCViewer with Scale [Was: Re: OLPC eToys!]

Milan Zimmermann milan.zimmermann at sympatico.ca
Fri Sep 22 00:37:01 UTC 2006

On 2006 September 20 13:12, Bert Freudenberg wrote:
> I think there are VNC clients that can scale down a remote display, that
> might be one idea to achieve what I want.

Bert,

As referenced here

http://www.cus.cam.ac.uk/~ssb22/source/vnc-magnification.html

This VNC viewer

http://www.cus.cam.ac.uk/~ssb22/source/vncviewer.exe

has scaling. I could not find a vncviewer on linux that has scaling (and
failed to set it up so far as in the above article).

However: The vncviewer scaling can be done - I am running the above vncviewer
on Linux under wine (needs fairly late wine).

I am running Xvnc server at 1200x900, using params:

:42 -inetd -once -query localhost -geometry 1200x900 -depth 32 -alwaysshared
-deferupdate 80

Then running through the vncviewer, and defining scale=1/2. For what it is
worth, under the 1/2 scale, on my screen, the whole window inside vncviewer
(not including the black part which is just stretched manually) measures
14.8cmx10.5cm - roughly what OLPC is.

I have to say, everything (including Squeak) is fairly unreadable that way,
but I am not sure if the vnc has any part of making it worst.

Screenshot is attached. - Let me know if it seems of any use to go this
direction,

Milan