iPhone Holography (was: Sophie, Croquet; Croquet, Sophie)

Daniel Lanovaz daniel at precedia.com
Tue Feb 20 00:02:50 UTC 2007

 > ... Tim suggested that it might be more interesting to embed
 > Croquet within Sophie than vice versa.

A short commercial I created entitled "iPhone Holography"
is located here:

http://web.mac.com/iphone2007/iWeb/Site/iphone.html

It would have been interesting to create this
in a Croquet/Sophie combination, which I mentioned
to Tim Rowledge some time ago prior to the start of
this little project, as part of one of my rants
he kindly and patiently listened to regarding
the current/next generation rendering engines,
game engines, user interfaces, and development
environments for the creative professional.

id Software, Epic Games, Bungie, and others are really
pushing the envelope of real-time rendering, with near
real-time ray tracing effects including transparency,
reflection, anisotropic shading, sub-surface
scattering, et al., not to mention real-time physics.
Gone are the days of simply painting textures on
polygons at a high rate.

In the linked animation I didn't pan the camera out
to expose that the light bulb and iPhone world is
really sitting on a curved and warping page of paper
inside a book.

 From what I've seen so far of the two systems,
Croquet appears more foundational while Sophie
appears more like a word processing application
with animation timelines (at least the latest Sophie
download). Granted that I haven't studied either
in depth.

I hope you enjoy the commercial.

Regards,
Daniel