how to become modular

Trygve Reenskaug trygver at ifi.uio.no
Thu Jul 12 08:47:23 UTC 2007

Craig,
I believe SPOON is a very important departure. It permits the
fundamentally new to live side by side with the old. It deserves to succeed.

The idea of "burn the disk packs" was a fundamental mistake; it doesn't
take into account that the value of a release image is minuscule
compared to the value added by user/programmers. The idea of a personal
computer cannot be reconciled with the idea of throwing everything away
every few years. What about my address book, my diary, the useful
program I wrote two years ago, the program I'm working on now. (My
programs are part of my personal data)

I am afraid you expect too much from the community. Like everyone else,
I am working on my own pet project(s). Like everyone else, I am trying
to avoid committing /error 33: Predicating one research effort upon the
success of another./ (http://www.catb.org/jargon/html/E/error-33.html)

Still, I do want to try SPOON. But I got wary when I followed the
installation directions and immediately crashed. Perhaps the project
hasn't got as far as I expected.

Dear Craig. I understand your funding has dried out so that funding is
your prime concern. But I sincerely hope you can continue your work on
SPOON. You may have to do it alone until you have a reasonably stable
core so that other people can start populating it with their own pet
revolutions. I think it was Storm-P who said: "When you want to change
the world, start in its center and begin with yourself".

All the best
--Trygve

Trygve Reenskaug      mailto: trygver at ifi.uio.no
Morgedalsvn. 5A       http://folk.uio.no/trygver
N-0378 Oslo           Tel: (+47) 22 49 57 27
Norway