Balloon 3D

sig siguctua at gmail.com
Tue Jun 5 14:19:33 UTC 2007

In my opinition - OpenGL is a Graphics Library at first place, while
DirectX is just a library which lets programmer to speak _directly_
with hardware (i think that's why is was called so).
>From this point, OpenGL will be always superior. Because it does not
depends on any hardware and have a good abstraction level for generic
graphics rendering. It's simple to imagine a plotter device , which
understands OpenGL commands, but hard to imagine plotter drawing using
DirectX. :)

So, while OpenGL is always focusing on generic
interfaces/implementations for all possible platforms/hardware,
DirectX is focused on supporting a cutting-edge features of some video
cards. And from this point - OpenGL is better choice for creating apps
IMHO.

Its good that we having 2 different graphics libraries competing each
other, but bad for hardware manufacturers - they need to support both
of them in their products, and its always tempting to support only one
of them.