[Ann] Nile 0.8.0 available

Damien Cassou damien.cassou at gmail.com
Wed May 16 09:07:45 UTC 2007

The refactoring of Nathanael keeps the implementation of methods.
Methods are just moved from a class to a trait. This brings reusable
traits, but the result could have been better.

What we are doing with Nile is more like a complete reimplementation
trying to keep the same API when it makes sense. Method
implementations are completely different. Our traits have been made to
be reusable and to have their own meaning. They are not built to
factorize existing classes.

Is it clearer?

2007/5/16, danil osipchuk <danil at mtsnet.ru>:

> Aha, I see.
> Thank you both.
> Do you mean a library with a new api by complete reimplementation of the
> collection hierarchy? I'm asking because I don't understand a difference
> between a refactoring (using traits) and a complete rewrite if library
> protocol and user classes stay the same. Nathanael changed pretty everything
> exept of public api - no?
>
> Regards,
>   Danil
>
> stephane ducasse wrote:
> >

> > On 14 mai 07, at 21:07, Damien Cassou wrote:
> >
> >> Hi Daniel,
> >>
> >> I secretly dream of replacing the Stream hierarchy by Nile. But Nile
> >> is far away from a possible replacement. This is because Nile does not
> >> implement most of the methods that can be found in the Stream
> >> hierarchy. Moreover, replacing the current hierarchy requires a
> >> reimplementation of all subclasses of the class Stream. However, I
> >> think the task is doable.
> >
> > but we do not need it now :)
> > We need a really cool stream library with a cool core and composable
> > abstractions.
> > And Nile is that
> >> If people want to help making Nile better,
> >> feel free to join.
> >
> > Indeed we need more clients of Nile to improve it.
> >
> >> About the collection hierarchy, I think the replacement is not worth
> >> it. This is because Nathanael refactored the hierarchy using traits
> >> instead of completely reimplementing it. This was the right thing to
> >> do at this time but I would prefer a completely new version, rewritten
> >> from scratch as I did with Nile.
> >
> > This would be a really experience. because we could get a small core
> > and all kind of possibilities.
> >>
> >> Does this answer all your questions ?
> >>
> >> 2007/5/14, danil osipchuk <danil at mtsnet.ru>:
> >>>

> --