Balloon 3D

Brad Fuller brad at bradfuller.com
Mon May 28 18:08:09 UTC 2007

J J wrote:

> And if you are making a game, the directX 10 or 15 or 2000, what ever
> comes with Vista is the most advanced graphics API you can have on a
> desktop as far as I know.  Some people may let that go by just because
> it isn't "freedom 0" or whatever.  But probably not people want to
> make money selling 3D games. :)
Ah... but now you are stepping into a different vortex ;-) than
providing a platform-agnostic development platform. Professional game
development comes in many flavors, of course, but the tools used are
pretty much universal. Squeak has a long way to go to even providing the
tools to create casual games in any serious way. I'm not saying it can't
be done, or that it hasn't been done or that I wouldn't _love_ to see
it. It's just not on the game developer's radar.

Bert's comment:
"Because OpenGL support on Windows is consistently inferior to  Direct3D
support on consumer-level hardware."
brings up the question "how much inferior?" So much that it's a
no-brainer? Or will OpenGL get there. (I don't know the answer - I
didn't know that there was any difference between the different platform
implementations.)

HOWEVER, if updated D3D could attract game developers to Squeak, that is
well worth considering.

brad