Balloon 3D

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Wed May 30 16:59:06 UTC 2007

On May 28, 2007, at 20:43 , Andreas Raab wrote:

> Bert Freudenberg wrote:
>> On May 28, 2007, at 19:35 , Cesare Marilungo wrote:
>>> Regarding the OLPC, there's Mesa3D (http://www.mesa3d.org/).
>> I'd bet that Balloon3D's software renderer is at least as fast as
>> Mesa's. Both are currently too slow for the OLPC (which runs at
>> 1200x900x16 on a performance-challenged 400 Mhz CPU). That's why
>> Mesa is not shipped on the OLPC system.
>
> Unless the Mesa software renderer has seen *significant* work in
> the last years I would expect the B3D software renderer to beat the
> hell out of it. I wrote it because back in the days (with 200MHz
> computers) Mesa was too slow for running the software simulation.
> Nowadays on my measly 1GHz notebook I can run Wonderland from 3.6
> in approx. 600 at 400 with 25fps.

On the OLPC XO-B2, the 200x200 Cube3D runs at 23 frames per second,
at 400x400 it's 12 fps.

Empty wonderland (just ground plane) is 14 fps at 200x200, 5 fps at
400x400.

After adding a large pooh object it is 6 fps at 200x200, 2.6 fps at
400x400.

Perhaps if someone would spend time on profiling and optimizing it
would almost become usable ... and perhaps adding an Xv overlay that
scales up by two ...

- Bert -