Alternative Thread Schedulers

bryce at kampjes.demon.co.uk bryce at kampjes.demon.co.uk
Wed May 30 20:20:50 UTC 2007

J J writes:
 > What I want to do is from a higher priority process to take total control of
 > the scheduling and try out an event driven style scheduler.  To be more
 > specific, I would have, to start say, 6 different priorities: 1 real-time
 > and 5 "normal".  Real-time runs any time it wants for as long as it wants,
 > but the rest have a specific quantum.  The highest normal priority might
 > have e.g. 20ms or maybe even just 10.  The lowest might have 250ms or maybe
 > even 400 (I believe this is what sun gave their lowest priorties).  Of
 > course tunning would be required with this.

At some point it would be nice to have some scheduling support for
Exupery. When running as a background compiler Exupery runs in a
separate, Squeak, process. Ideally, Exupery should be allowed all the
time when nothing else is going on but not starved completely if the
process is busy so the system can still optimize itself under load.

Exupery shouldn't be able to starve other processes or get starved
itself.

Bryce