Image recovery?

Alejandro F. Reimondo aleReimondo at smalltalking.net
Wed Nov 28 13:48:16 UTC 2007

Hi Esteban,

If you has not compressed the changes file, the code can be recovered from
there with a change set browser.
In case it is not your situation and you need to dump some
objects/information actually inside the image...
Do you know how to build a VM ? (compile a patched VM to run your image)
If you know how to doit, you can patch a primitive you are sure it is called
by your image before crashing and try to activate another process running an
evaluation of the code you want to evaluate to dump your code & objects (or
repair the image, the last changes -after last recorded saveImage- can help
you to know what has you broken there).
I wish you good luck!

The situation you have now IMHO is good to learn that working saving the
image is not a convenient way to work (you have reached one of the
situations that reveals this fact). It is reccomended to work investing
efforts in modularization. From now you can evaluate the risks of investing
efforts only in saving your image.
The construction of modular systems requieres little efforts as demostrated
for more than a decade and let you be sure that parts of your system can be
assembled without risks (consider each time that a module is assembled in an
image a test of conformance of the assembly energy requiered to put your
parts in another system).
If you work with your objects in (only) one image, you can construct a
system and learn a lot  about the domain from doing that, but doing that way
will not face you to the costs of putting your parts in the context of other
image(s).
The efforts put in modular composition of subsystems is related with this
facts (energy requiered to assemble a system from its "parts") and not with
sharing goodies with other people. If you consider modularity you will also
evade the risks of loosing time, work and make your framework more
appropiate to be bound to other image(s).

cheers,
Ale.