squeak packages in ubuntu 7.10

Lex Spoon lex at lexspoon.org
Sun Oct 21 17:46:15 UTC 2007

Norbert Hartl <norbert at hartl.name> writes:
> On Mon, 2007-10-15 at 18:08 -0400, Lex Spoon wrote:
> > There are parts of each set of debs that seems nice:
> >
> >   1. The Ubuntu packages have a lot of desktop files so that Squeak
> >   integrates nicely with many desktops.
> >
> >   2. The Debian packages have a better package naming scheme.
> >
> >   3. The Debian packages have a better startup script.
> >

> There should be no problem with merging. 2. and 3. don't read as
> being questionable. If people are annoyed by the desktop integration
> of ubuntu this could be a dialog option during install. That is the
> way debian/ubuntu treat such problems most of the time.

To be clear, I don't think there are any real conflicts, so it is
mostly an issue of the maintainers being interested in accepting each
other's patches.

For the startup script, it is a possible conflict, but from emails to
the mainatiners I cannot detect any issues.  The Ubuntu guys just
wanted *a* script, and did not know about the Debian one, so they made
a new one.  However, if I recall correctly they are happy with the
Debian one, too.

-Lex