Quick comparison of two Namespaces proposals

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Tue Sep 18 14:33:46 UTC 2007

On Sep 18, 2007, at 15:58 , Brent Pinkney wrote:

> +10000 for:
>
> self add: (Kernel Array new: 4).
>
> This mechanism preseves the elegant foundation of Smalltalk:
> 'Everyting is an Object, which receives a messages and returns an
> object'.
> In this (Dan's ?) solution, the implementation is late bound and
> can use the same lookup algorithm as used for messages.

This is indeed elegant - however, it "hides" the classes from tools,
like, if you want to find references to "Kernel Array".

> The other solutions lack this elegance.

Well, in Göran's version there simply is a global named
#Kernel::Array which I find quite elegant too (if you like TSTTCPW).
It's even hardly a "namespace" so much as it is a formalization of
prefixes.

- Bert -