[squeak-dev] What turns off newcomers

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Tue Apr 8 22:20:44 UTC 2008

On 8-Apr-08, at 3:09 PM, Bert Freudenberg wrote:

> On 07.04.2008, at 17:02, tim Rowledge wrote:
>> I think there is a bit of a logical problem here ins that if the
>> system *didn't* have 'all that junk' the immediate result would be
>> complaints that 'it doesn't have all that useful stuff like other
>> systems'.
>

> IMHO in other systems the 'junk' is simply not that much in-your-
> face as in the SystemBrowser. It's hidden in library code that you
> never look at except for its documented API.

Interesting way of looking at it. Perhaps it might be sensible to have
a browser for typical use that shows much less detail of the 'kernel'
classes so as to cause less fear and concern for less experienced
developers. We did something along those lines for LearningWorks with
reasonable success.

We'd need to actually *have* a 'documented API' of course....

tim
Strange OpCodes: SDL: Shift Disk Left