#fork and deterministic resumption of the resulting process

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Tue Feb 5 17:30:20 UTC 2008

On 5-Feb-08, at 9:10 AM, Joshua Gargus wrote:

> On Feb 4, 2008, at 5:47 PM, Joshua Gargus wrote:
>>
>> I'm a little uncomfortable with the notion of not giving processes
>> the priority explicitly requested by the programmer.
>
> I obviously didn't read Andreas's proposal closely enough.  With
> more than a glance, it is clear that a lower-priority helper process
> is used only for a moment to start up the real process at the
> priority requested by the user.

Dang! You're right! Reminder to self - avoid commenting after a quick
look at densely written code.

I agree that there is surely still a moderate likelihood problem here
in that the helper process, being a lower priority, is not guaranteed
to run anytime soon. If there are several processes at the current
priority then they *all* have to get suspended before the helper can
run and complete the fork. Your suggestion might solve that. I think.

tim
To iterate is human; to recurse, divine.