HydraTools and minimal images

Igor Stasenko siguctua at gmail.com
Thu Feb 14 13:27:37 UTC 2008

On 14/02/2008, David T. Lewis <lewis at mail.msen.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 12, 2008 at 02:16:25PM -0800, Craig Latta wrote:
>  >
>  > > Since the basic development process is in place (load alternative
>  > > images, send commands, save the result) I was thinking about the next
>  > > steps and it occurred to me that having a set of tools that can
>  > > operate on another image would be tremendously useful. Not only for
>  > > development inside Hydra but also for some of the people out there
>  > > trying to create smaller images.
>  > >
>  > > With a set of HydraTools you should be able to for example, rip out
>  > > *all* of the UIs and tools that exist in an image, fix up the result
>  > > and be able to try loading the UI framework from first principles.
>  >
>  >      I've done that with Spoon, with separate VMs communicating over a
>  > proxy system that uses sockets. It would be interesting to extend the
>  > proxy system to use Hydra's channels (some form of inter-thread
>  > communication I assume, I haven't looked at the Hydra implementation yet).
>

> I'm not actively involved with either HydraVM or Spoon (not enough hours
>  in the day), but the synergy seems clear. It would be very interesting
>  if some of Spoon's features could be available in a HydraVM and vice
>  versa. Also, any cooperation would expand the audience for both projects
>  considerably.

With some guidance of Craig, i would try to run Spoon images on HydraVM.
The things i need to know:
- from where i can download latest Spoon image
- where i should put my dirty hands to prepare two Spoon images for
interacting via Hydra channels.

I'm really want to test-drive Spoon. Since last time i tried it, it
was not fascinating at all :)
I was able to run host image, but unable to connect it with child
image because of some bugs in windows version.

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.