beware GNU Smalltalk if you want to contribute to squeak

Janko Mivšek janko.mivsek at eranova.si
Wed Jan 9 14:55:37 UTC 2008

Hi Michael,

Michael Haupt wrote:

>> Those wars are not ours!
>
> ... until they are imposed on you by some over-zealous lawyer, or SCO,
> or whoever.
>
> I'm with you, please don't get me wrong. But it's not just one side's
> duty to at least have a clean impression of how licenses shape part of
> the software world.

You are right, we need to be vigilant here. What I wanted to point out
is that we need stay out of unnecessary wars, but only be careful about
license situation, so that SCO won't happen to us. And so far we didn't
have any legal Smalltalk license dispute, AFAIK. Ok, someone will said
that this is a consequence of a niche position, but, well, being niche
is also good sometimes :)

To conclude: we should stay away from staring in-fight and press down
one Smalltalk just because someone don't like its license! We need to
encourage a cooperation between Smalltalks instead.

JAnko

--
Janko Mivšek
AIDA/Web