Editing class method sources in single place

Jon Hylands jon at huv.com
Thu Jan 31 00:33:52 UTC 2008

On Thu, 31 Jan 2008 00:39:23 +0200, "Igor Stasenko" <siguctua at gmail.com>
wrote:

> - bookmarks, letting you remember and then jump to previously bookmarked method.

We thought long and hard about this one when I was with The Object People
and we were building a new browser for Visual Smalltalk. We decided that
bookmarks are way more trouble than they are worth, because you have to
manage them, mainly because you eventually end up with too many, and you
can't find anything anymore.

However, it turns out there's a better metaphor that people intuitively
understand - a stack. When you're coding, and you need to look something
up, just push the current browser state onto the stack (we used Alt-C for
this), and then go find what you're looking for. When you find it, Alt-V
takes you right back to where you were before, as if you never left. If you
are somewhere looking after pushing, and need to remember what you were
looking for, Alt-X swaps the current state and the saved state, and then
Alt-X swaps you right back again.

Of course, you can push more than one state on the stack, and it works
exactly the way you would expect it to work.

Later,
Jon