[squeak-dev] Re: [ANN][Squeak-dev Images] Revival

Damien Cassou damien.cassou at gmail.com
Wed Jul 9 15:29:09 UTC 2008

Hi Ramon,

On Wed, Jul 9, 2008 at 5:13 PM, Ramon Leon <ramon.leon at allresnet.com> wrote:
>> However, I do not understand why so much people continue to download
>> 3.9 based images.
>
> Likely because they have apps deployed in 3.9 so they want to develop in
> 3.9.  Just because something new comes out, 3.10, doesn't mean it's going to
> get used, there has to be a compelling reason to upgrade that overrides the
> aversion to doing the work.

In fact, this sentence was related to the result of the poll in which
few people voted for 3.9. If people are stillinterested in dev-images
based on 3.9, they should say so in the poll (I know you did).

> Even if 3.10 is just a bunch of bug fixes and an upgrade might entail
> nothing more than changing images for production sites, that's still a risk
> of breaking something that isn't currently broken.  There's also a bit of
> stability that comes from running one version behind whatever the latest is.
> Letting someone else shake out the kinks in the new stuff is more pragmatic
> than making my customers do it.  Not everyone thinks newer is automatically
> better.

I perfectly understand this concern and that is why I'm still building
images from 3.9.

> You also have 3.9 listed as stable and 3.10 as experimental... Of course

I will change that as soon as I decide what to generate next. I would
like more people give his opinion and vote.

> people are going to download 3.9.  I also see nothing other than that listed
> to try and move me to 3.10, so I'd say you need to tell me why I should be
> using 3.10, and how it differs from 3.9 and how that will help me in some
> way.

Thank you for your comment

--
Damien Cassou
Peter von der Ahé: «I'm beginning to see why Gilad wished us good