[squeak-dev] Re: Maintenance of remote references

Klaus D. Witzel klaus.witzel at cobss.com
Fri Jul 18 18:30:55 UTC 2008

Hi Sebastian,

on Fri, 18 Jul 2008 19:09:37 +0200, you wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> 	Thing. I'm working in the RemoteObjects package that is a sort of RMI or
> RPC but for real objects ;) Right now is working > x2 than rST in
> localhost. It
> was designed in a P2P fashion and it allows to have N brokers even
> inside the
> same image.
>
> 	Purpose. Scaling Squeak today.

Great :)

> 	Hears. Anyway I'm in analisys phase for this problem so I want to hear
> more ideas. So thinking loud is welcome.

Have you considered how to avoid cyclic remote references, anything
positive into this direction would be valuable for (currently) a small
group of people ;) TIA.

We discuss and make plans for implementing models analogous to yours, with
multiple Smalltalk .images, each with own native thread, on n-core
machines. We recently found one model which apparently cannot avoid cyclic
remote references :(

/Klaus