[squeak-dev] SoC idea: Squeak code on the Web

Janko Mivšek janko.mivsek at eranova.si
Thu Mar 6 10:35:06 UTC 2008

Matthew Fulmer wrote:

>> 	Squeak code on the Web
>> 	http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/6032
>>
>> which goal is to build a web portal of all Squeak code ever written. Code
>> should be accessible to search engines like Google Code Search and each
>> package/class/method should have nice bookmarkable Url. This is important
>> (besides others) for better visibility and promotion of Smalltalk among
>> other languages, which have all code accessible on the web. Portal is
>> supposed to be written using Aida/Web framework to leverage its strong Url
>> support.
>
> I think it is a great project:
> - elimination of the image as a barrier to entry to browse code
> - give Aida some solid backing in the squeak community opinion
> - the artifact would be useful to anyone
>
> I think there is a problem, though, in that this database would
> have to be exposed to the image before a web interface could be
> made to it. I emailed you in private about this.

First, let we call this a repository (not a database) of all code, to
not confuse with databases like RDB, ODB etc. This repository can be
implemented on top of some database, or even not. Think Google as
example, no one cares what is actually behind.

Second, as I understand, your idea is actually a grand goal: to have one
repository of a code, accessible from both a web and image, and used
both as a catalog of code (for end users) and for source code management
(for developers).

And that's my grand goal too, specially after repeatably going through
the pain of publishing the code on three different places (SqueakMap,
Universes, SqueakSource).

Problem is only how to achieve that goal. I'm a fan of small doable
steps, but toward a defined grand goal as this one is. So I started
thinking on a catalog part of the story, where this SoC project would
simply provide web access to the code, while next project can continue
from here to provide full SqueakMap functionality (SqueakMap web face
"uplift") then add Universes web face, then merge with SqueakSource,
then MC2, DS,...

JAnko

--
Janko Mivšek