[squeak-dev] Re: VersionsBrowser

Maurice Rabb m3rabb at uiuc.edu
Mon Mar 24 04:42:33 UTC 2008

On Mar 20, 2008, at 14:09 , Philippe Marschall wrote:

> Is it corrent that the new versions browser:
> http://www.squeaksource.com/VersionsBrowser2.html
> is missing?
>
> Cheers
> Philippe

Hi Phillippe  et al.

The latest version of the VersionBrowser (1.0) is available via the
Package Universe Browser under the "Code Browsing" category.  It is
also available on SqueakSource at:

	http://www.squeaksource.com/Archaeology.html

I cleaned up the repository so it is easier to understand.  However,
the version that is there doesn't provide any obvious new
functionality.  It is simply a refactored version that provides the
hooks for enabling the VersionsBrowser to read a single composite of
archive of all official Squeak methods that have been published.
After getting feedback from a number of people offline at the end of
last year, I realized that I needed to approach the problem in new
fashion.

It has only been in the past few weeks that I have been able to focus
again on the work at all.  Only since March have my wife and I have
begun to emerge from the sleep deprivation fog of new
parenthood. :-)  (Jerome, anyone who can write good code under the
influence of new baby is a better person than I -- however, I hope
they are not building avionics! :-p)

The current version has been refactored with good test coverage and
is devoid of any dependencies on tricky and ugly Squeak legacy code
-- i.e. core code that we all depend on but are either afraid to
modify, or afraid to use after someone has "improved" it.  As a
research project we have been looking at ways to do archaeology on
Squeak code, and seeing what can be discovered by investigating the
codebase of 10+ years of code evolution.  More to follow ...

-Maurice