[squeak-dev] Re: Unload Traits script (response to edgar)

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Wed May 14 11:01:43 UTC 2008

Trygve Reenskaug wrote:
> A role is played by an object at run time. This object can be an
> instance of any class that implements its trait. So the trait is tied to
> a fundamental abstraction that is on the same level as the class.

Interesting. But aren't you describing interfaces? I agree that
interfaces which describe the protocol required by a role can be a
useful; I am not convinced that traits (which are effectively used as
the implementation itself) are nearly as helpful in this context.

> I both look forward to and dread my publication of the first Baby IDE.
> Will it start a constructive discussion, will it be slaughtered, or will
> it be ignored?

I've been curious for a while now to see applications of traits and I'm
still waiting for one that convinces me they're worth the hazzles that
come along with it. I'm looking forward to seeing what you've done.

Cheers,
   - Andreas