[squeak-dev] How to choose plugins-to-built while compiling a vm?

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Fri May 16 11:25:24 UTC 2008

On Fri, May 16, 2008 at 09:23:59AM +0200, Norbert Hartl wrote:
> Hi,
>
> yesterday I got myself a fresh copy of the squeak vm code
> from subversion. But I wasn't able to compile. There were
> compile errors in the Gstreamer Plugin. So I tried to exclude
> that from the compilation but I didn't find it in VMMaker. Then
> I looked for a configure switch --without-gstreamer or the like
> but there isn't one. I only got it compiled through editing of
> the Makefile.
>
> It seems there are a lot of plugins you can't choose to build or
> not. Dbus is one of these candidates.
>
> What is the best way to deal with that.

Norbert,

The plugins in the build process are controlled by the VMMaker
code generator. If you select the ones you want in the VMMakerTool,
generate the source, then run configure and make, you will
be building only the plugins that you originally generated from
VMMaker.

>From your description, I would guess that your configure is
getting aimed at the wrong source file directory. There can
be confusion between VMMaker and configure; I personally use
the convention of letting VMMaker generate source in ./src32,
then symlinking ./src32 to src (this would be src64 when
generating code for 64 bit images). I then use a build directory
called ./build32 (or ./build64) and run ../platforms/unix/config/configure
from that build directory. The configure script follows the
symlink and all is well.

HTH,

Dave