[squeak-dev] Files documentation

Keith Hodges keith_hodges at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Nov 24 20:42:42 UTC 2008

Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:
> Keith: hahahah. I know there was a "Logging" project, but as there
> were few places where to log, I decided to do it by hand. Do you think
> it should be better to do it with it altought I have few places to log ?

Definitely.

That is exactly what Logging is there for, so that people are encouraged
to put the log code in their packages without worrying about how the
actual logging is done, timestamped etc. You can let the user choose how
the output is provided/used/managed (e.g. SimpleLog does log file
rotation). The default backend is simply a Null instance (it
should/could be a minimal Transcript Log equivalent to Transcript show:)

There are also utilities for timing events, so you could start a timer
when you send a query and print it when you get the result.
> Just by curious, is Logging something like log4j (sorry, but that's
> what I know :( ?
>
> does Logging use RIO for files ?
>
> thanks,
>
> Mariano
If you load "SimpleLog" (from the gjallar team) this uses Syslog,
transcript, LogMorph or files (not rio, just a basic filestream)

Keith