[squeak-dev] Windows service: Win2k to the rescue - slightly

Bill Schwab BSchwab at anest.ufl.edu
Wed Oct 15 04:06:30 UTC 2008

Simon, Andreas,

My very isolated and greatly appreciated win2k machine indeed helped me
figure out what was going on, though not quite as much as I expected.
I'm not sure if that's good or bad.

Instead of the started/stopped business, it said that it could not start
the service.  I had been wondering about that, but the messages from XP
and 2k3 were more suggestive that Squeak/Pharo was deciding to quit due
to inability to access files, the network, etc.  At least that is what a
Dolphin server would do: discover it has no running socket/COM/etc.
services and the bail out, unless overridden in the current session
manager.  I'm still trying to get inside Squeak/Pharo's head in that
regard.

The mistake was mine.  I had mangled the arguments to svrany.  What
bothers me is the complete lack of diagnostic data pointing to that
mistake.  svrany gave me nothing of value.  Even on win2k, I appear not
to be getting strings from OutputDebugString(), which surprises me from
complaints about XP, 2k3 and Vista not living up to 2k's cooperative
nature.  However, it as been a long day, and I will take another look
before concluding that is broken on 2k.

Anything you have learned about tracing services on the various flavors
of Windows could be helpful.  I am tempted to finish off the Apache
configuration and test the Seaside app, but hopefully I will have enough
sense to have a well-deserved beer and watch a movie or something.

Bill

Wilhelm K. Schwab, Ph.D.
University of Florida
Department of Anesthesiology