[squeak-dev] Arrggh - Squeak FFI in 3.10 again?!

Torsten Bergmann astares at gmx.de
Tue Oct 28 11:44:22 UTC 2008

Hi Kjell,

I came across your postings on problems on installing Exupery [1] in Squeak.

I'm sure your problem is the Installation of FFI in the 3.10 image again. Arrrgghh!!!
See the bug + fix [2] - just file in the changeset from above location [2] before loading FFI
and tell me if it works.

Unfortunately I tried to convince the community several times (see [3] for an example) to
update the default 3.10 download images:
 - since people typically start by downloading an image from the website
 - since FFI is a very often used package for some of us and some packages depend on it
 - since not every new user knows about bug 6980

But unfortunately still nobody really cares. Yes there are nice Installer scripts and friends -
but they dont automatically fix this problem for a fresh 3.10 Squeak download.

However I als filed a bug report + fix [4] for Pharo in the hope that this Squeak distribution will be
more user friendly than the standard Squeak in the future...

Thx
Torsten

[1] http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/exupery/2008-October/000318.html
[2] http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=6980