[squeak-dev] Re: Can you launch a squeak image on an etoys vm in Ubuntu?

Chris Kassopulo ckasso at sprynet.com
Tue Apr 14 02:00:01 UTC 2009

On Mon, 13 Apr 2009 17:31:17 -0700, Jerome Peace wrote:

> Hi Bert
>
> Making a launcher with the command
> squeak -vm-sound-OSS
> then clicking on the launcher does not open any image at all.
>

> --- On Mon, 4/13/09, Bert Freudenberg <bert at freudenbergs.de> wrote:
>
>> From: Bert Freudenberg <bert at freudenbergs.de> Subject: Re: [squeak-dev]
>> Can you launch a squeak image on an etoys vm in Ubuntu? To:
>> peace_the_dreamer at yahoo.com, "The general-purpose Squeak developers
>> list" <squeak-dev at lists.squeakfoundation.org> Date: Monday, April 13,
>> 2009, 4:18 AM On 13.04.2009, at 00:14, Jerome Peace wrote:
>>
>> > Hi all and especially Bert,
>> >
>> > I am thinking about a work around to get sound going
>> on my
>> > development images.
>> >
>> > So far on Ubuntu I've found I can make launchers
>> with commands
>> >
>> > like
>> >
>> > squeak -image MySqueak
>> >
>> > and it will launch something other than the installed
>> 3.9 image.
>>
>> If you add the -vm-sound-OSS option to this command line, doesn't it
>> work?
>>
>> > for etoys the installed launcher has
>> > '/usr/bin/etoys'
>> >
>> > as a command which runs the etoys shell script.
>> >
>> > The shell script seems to recognize a -r alt.image
>> option
>> >
>> > but I have not been able to get it to work for me.
>> >
>> > I've tried it both inside and outside the single
>> quotes above.
>> >
>> > What am I missing?
>>

>> Please attach your "etoys" script version. My version of the script
>> accepts a "--image" argument:
>>
> I am attaching the etoys.sh script from etoys.app its different than
> yours.
>
> I tried adding -image myImage.image to the etoys command. I am getting a
> can't move to directory/file not present error.
>
> Remember I am still in the "removing ignorance gently mode" of Ubuntu
> learning. Apparently I am not describing the file path correctly. I've
> tried several variations but haven't hit on the right one yet.
>
>> http://etoys.laptop.org/src/etoys.in
>>
>> In any case you should be able to just use the VM that is included in
>> the etoys app structure.
>>
>> - Bert -

I was told via bug report that Ubuntu doesn't support OSS at all.

It is the opposite of what you are trying to do but on my Ubuntu box,
I removed the Ubuntu squeak related packages and installed the DEB
squeak-vm package.  I can open squeak and etoys images with the
command: squeak /path_to_image/image_name.image and sound works.

Note to Jerome - you can type commands from a "terminal".  Edit
previous commands by using uparrow.  You get more feedback in a
terminal.  Applications>>Accessories>>Terminal

The only problem encountered is that squeak does not respond to
closing of its host window.  Etoys puts up a confirmation message box.
I remember seeing something in the archives about fixes to the vm in
how that is handled, but it also requires changes to the image.  Are
those changes available?

Chris