[squeak-dev] VMmaker install problem on latest Trunk

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Mon Dec 14 11:33:58 UTC 2009

On Sun, Dec 13, 2009 at 07:24:42PM +0100, Merik Voswinkel wrote:

> I would like to ask David and Tim a few more questions to
>
> - Since you started maintaining VMMaker, did you make any changes to
> the InterpreterSimulator? I can of course go through all the updates
> and find it in your notes there, but it appears to me you did not work
> on InterpreterSimulator?

Very little work has been on on InterpreterSimulator, so it is very
possible that updates are needed here. The interpreter itself has not
changed much over the years, with the notable exception of Eliot's
changes to add support for block closures.

> - are you familiar with the methods coerceTo:sim: in class ByteSymbol
> and the missing #swapBytesFrom:to: in class Bitmap?
>
> -There is a methods coerceTo:sim:in class Bitmap though, maybe they
> where mixed up?

I believe that there was some recent discussion of this on the list,
although I do not recall the issue right now. These are methods that
are meaningful in the translation to C but that would do nothing in
simulation mode. Can you explain the issue that you are having?

Dave