[squeak-dev] Re: n-core Smalltalk at work [Re: Hydra now can do mitosis]

Klaus D. Witzel klaus.witzel at cobss.com
Sun Feb 22 18:38:59 UTC 2009

On Sun, 22 Feb 2009 18:53:24 +0100, Rob Rothwell wrote:

> Perhaps naively, I simply downloaded the binaries and used them to open a
> 3.10 dev image, which seemed to work fine, FreeType and all...

:)

> So...from the helpful doits, it seems that you prepare a second image
> that carries out the native processes for you?

Yes, "classic" Hydra loads the second .image from file and mitosis Hydra
populates (the second) an empty .image from am arrayOfObjects passed in.

> Or can you run several native
> threads within the current image?

*run* within the current .image: No.
*clone* from within the current .image: Yes.

> Very interesting...and what is most impressive is that someone relatively
> unsophisticated like me could just open an image with the new VM, load
> the
> HydraVM package from Squeaksource and get have HydraVM isHydra return
> true!

A nice compliment for Igor who hacked this :)

> A short example of creating a "lengthy process" running in it's own
> thread
> would be great...you know, something that just counts for a really long
> time
> or something.

Like (123456 factorial) ? you want to see one of the cores running at 100%
(instead of the idle loop); message understood :)

> This is very interesting!
>
> Rob

"If at first, the idea is not absurd, then there is no hope for it".
Albert Einstein