[squeak-dev] More distributed version control

Göran Krampe goran at krampe.se
Tue Mar 31 11:17:33 UTC 2009

Hi!

Andreas Raab wrote:
> Folks -
>
> Just as a side note to anyone who is interested in distributed version
> control systems, I thought it's interesting to see that they get more
> and more widely adopted. This just popped up on Python-dev:
>
> http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2009-March/087931.html
>
> I'm wondering if this has any impact on our thinking with respect to
> Monticello, change sets etc?

I am interested in these beasts, and Keith also has quite a bit of
experience. We use Hg in Gjallar - although very little. I have also
used bzr a bit, no git yet - but it is just a matter of time since
Github has really brought git "to the masses". Those are the three "top
contenders" although Darcs has a special place in my heart, not for it's
magical smarts (well, its cherry picking is way cool of course) but
mainly for its tremendous easy of use.

As you may know OpenSolaris, OpenJDK and Mozilla all use Hg (IIRC) and
Ubuntu pushes Bzr. These three are all very good, battle tested and
fast. Bzr and Hg being written in Python, and git in C.

The Quilt/patch queues in Hg etc is an example of inspiration for
Deltas, when Deltas are fully operational such queues can easily be made
using them.

IMHO there is a lot to be learned from these tools. Git and Darcs for
example represent two different "philosophies" - git following the
"don't be too smart, better to be slightly dumb but predictable"-idea
and Darcs following the "very, very smart doing magical stuff"-idea. :)

With Deltas I was also inspired by Linus/git - the idea to be able to do
relatively nice merging without using history like MC does - thus, "not
too smart, but predictable".

regards, Göran