Squeak direction: Was: Re: [squeak-dev] Terms of Reference: discussion is open

Miguel Enrique Cobá Martinez miguel.coba at gmail.com
Thu Nov 5 22:14:00 UTC 2009

El jue, 05-11-2009 a las 20:27 +0200, Igor Stasenko escribió:

> it would be a surprise to see a discussions about squeak directions
> every two weeks, isnt?
> What you see is a stuff which put on a table. If you miss something -
> where you been and not proposed
> the topic for discussion over these 6 months, which you think important?
> Or do you think that board members should read people minds and
> discuss unspoken thoughts?

I agree, but isn't hard to put a posible list of milestones to the
community as a draft of tasks to do and choose the ones with more votes
from the community, just as you do at the end of this message. Something
like that will be good. Right now the Squeak community hasn't even a
clue about what will be touched by changes made to squeak.

> As for Keith's proposals: first time i heard about them not long ago
> in IRC chat, and i reacted.
> Maybe he had mentioned this before, i don't know. But i think its not
> fair to blame the whole board for not paying attention.
> If he wanted to bring this topic to the table, then there should be a
> clear message somewhere, easy to find.
> But if such proposals siting somewhere in 20th post on a different
> topic, then its not a surprise that nobody noticed it.
> I repeat: nobody noticed! I hope you understand that there were no
> insidious plans, full of secrecy behind the scenes to ignore such
> request(s). Because if its true, then you won't be seeing this :)

I don't accuse anyone of secrecy or something like that. That isn't the
reason of my mail, but to know what can we expect from Squeak. The only
consistent issue expressed by the board is the relicensing one.

Respect to Keith's points I'm not endorsing all his views, as are many I
don't share and I have expressed this before in replies to him, but only
want to remark that this discussion was made several months ago and
nothing, besides the trunk proposition from Andreas, survived.

> As for movement, fixes, and overall progress:
> board could decide what to do, but only if there is people willing to
> do anything, or if there a two or more different views on same
> problem.

Maybe the board should try. Not imagine that won't be people willing to
follow the goals proposed by the board.
Until now the community has been waiting, giving the board what it
asked, time, to see the results of the trunk effort.
Maybe trying the other way can give other kind of results. The only
thing to lose is time, and the community has already done this.

> Here my list:
> - make it license clean
> - make it modular

Ok, this is something very good indeed. So, lets start the board's
Squeak To do list with those two.

> these decision(s) made a couple of years ago, and we still stick with them.

Well, a think that that isn't a very good argument in favor of squeak
because anyone has been accomplished.

Cheers

--
Miguel Cobá