[squeak-dev] Re: [RFC] Morphic-FileList recategorizing

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Thu Feb 11 05:44:00 UTC 2010

On Wed, Feb 10, 2010 at 08:37:42PM -0800, Andreas Raab wrote:
> David T. Lewis wrote:
> >Sorry for spamming the list with a lot of small updates today, but
> >it was a snow day here in Michigan so I took the day off, brewed up
> >some coffee and went to work on MVC reloadability. One more snowstorm
> >should easily be enough to finish the job :)
>
> Hey, more power to you! (let's hope the snow keeps up for just a little
> while longer :) I had one funny effect when I updated which was that
> suddenly tons of transcripts popped open due to the order in which some
> packages were loaded. I issued a config map to bring the packages in the
> right order and prevent this issue.

Andreas,
Thanks for fixing this.

On a related topic, I'm not sure how ToolBuilder-MVC (and ToolBuilder-Morphic)
should be handled. I've been treating package ST80 as equivalent to MVC
which would suggest changing ToolBuilder-MVC to ST80-Toolbuilder if the
primary goal is to have reloadable MVC and Morphic. However, ToolBuilder
is maintained as a package in its own right, so the current package naming
is important.

I'm inclined to think that "unload MVC" should mean "unload all of ST80
plus all of ToolBuilder-MVC plus all methods in other packages in method
categories *ST80-*". Does that sound right?

FWIW unloading and reloading MVC does work, but still requires recompiling
the sources after reloading the ST80 package. The remaining work is just
a matter of cleaning up some references to ST80 classes from classes outside
of the package, which leaves only about 30 remaining issues if I'm counting
correctly (a very short list compared to where we started).

Dave