[squeak-dev] [Documentation] Classes with class comment with size > 1000 chars

Michael Haupt mhaupt at gmail.com
Sun May 2 20:25:57 UTC 2010

Hi Casey,

On Sun, May 2, 2010 at 10:12 PM, Casey Ransberger
<casey.obrien.r at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'd actually recommend that we worry about documenting the tests after
> documenting the classes they test for several reasons.
>  - Tests are a form of documentation already. When I am looking for ways to
> use a class, and the class comment is insufficient, I'll often look at
> whatever tests are available.

I usually get nervous when people say code is documentation. That may
be true for the experienced, for all others, it is not. So that's not
a reason to postpone documenting tests in my opinion.

>  - I would rather focus on the core classes that one needs to use all the
> time first, and work our way out from there.
>  - The way you use the tests, for most folks anyway, is to use the test
> runner. ...

Those two are good reasons. :-)

> We still have a big fat question
> mark button in classes beginners will need to use, which leads them to a box
> that says "class has no comment" and I think we should deal with that
> *first.*

True! Agreed!

> Then again, this is just how Casey's internal triage works. I am known for
> punting things when I see something that brains me as more important. Your
> spiritual mileage may of course vary!

It does; see above.

Best,

Michael