[squeak-dev] Re: Config Browser for Metacello

Chris Cunnington smalltalktelevision at gmail.com
Wed May 19 15:08:35 UTC 2010

The only thing I don't like about this is a design holdover from the SM
Catalog gui: it tells me too much information that I don't actually want. I
go to development and I click, and, Hey!, there's the OmniBrowser. That's
just what I want! Then I click that, because I'm led by another
pointer-arrow. I click that and now ... there are five OmniBrowsers. I don't
want five. I'm an end user, not an OB developer. I want THE OB.

So now I have to scan this list, realize that the highest number is at the
bottom (or not, in this mockup), and then suppose that that's the most
recent. Select it and then load it. Cross my fingers, and suppose I've
understood this interface. Meanwhile, I'm asking myself why the other,
outdated, OBs are being given equal billing with the most recent version.

I have a book on web site design called Don't Make Me Think. This UI makes
me have to think and then to guess. The whole direction of Metacello, it
seems to me, is to lead people to a series of defaults, so they don't have
to think.

I say bury older versions, and present only one version: THE OB, or THE
WebClient. If people want to dig into the versions of OB from 1.0 to 1.1.2,
then push it out of immediate site. Push it down a level in the hierarchy.

It's true. I don't lack for opinions. It's been said. :)

Chris