[squeak-dev] Re: Extended Clipboard

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Mon Jan 3 18:57:21 UTC 2011

Ah, well it's because go to Microsoft office,  find a document, open,  find a word oh mm '"Squeak", select that do a COPY

back to squeak.  Paste.
Seems innocent?
Well ok, yes the command key has to be translated into a request to run some sort of the smalltalk code, then it asked the clipboard logic, hey what do we have.
It says. Oh well, we've some XML here, RTF,  ASCII, UTF8 & UTF16, a bunch of Microsoft UTI/mime-types, and a TIFF?  Does anyone higher up know what to do?

Sophie team, oh mmm well we need the RTF to toss at our textual tree since we do want to preserve the fact it's a  BOLD Squeak we are pasting..
Oh well mmm what about that TIFF? You know that in PhotoShop we get a PSD, JPEG, TIFF & UTF8?
Sophie team thinks hard... Fine if the target context is for graphics we ask for the TIFF, if not then it's textual data of some form into the text tree.

So back to Squeak, well do we want the UTF8, anyone know about RTF?  Should we use the TIFF?

Going the other way.

Tap COPY command key...
Squeak Ok so what the heck is the target we need to put on the clipboard, what widget is selected?

{Squeak programmers fill in blank and add intelligence here}

In Sophie, I can't remember, but we do have a target object selected (or none) as part of the architecture, so again a choice is made in what to do.

Oh and don't forget evil things,  like going to the OS-X Finder and select a file and do copy..
In Sophie, mmm we have a TIFF, ascii, utf8, utf16 item here, oh wait a special FileURL UTI, what should we do?
Paste the file name, paste the file icon, or does the user actually want the contents of the file.   For that I think we choose the contents of the file.

John M. McIntosh <johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com>   Twitter:  squeaker68882