[squeak-dev] The Trunk: KernelTests-cmm.173.mcz

Chris Muller asqueaker at gmail.com
Fri Jan 7 19:13:14 UTC 2011

>> Hmmm..  Levente was right, it didn't work, but I'm still really not
>> sure why..!  Why can't we have an addition followed by removal in the
>> same update?
>
> Because there are two branches which will be merged automatically. Your
> branch doesn't add the FloatConsistencyTests, but the other branch does, so
> it appears in the merged version.

Ah.  I thought it would find the youngest (or, highest version #)
package and then merge just that branch.  But, in fact, it merges ALL
branches.

And that makes complete sense for development; branches occur!  It
isn't often that we have branches in our trunk for very long because
we're small and good at keeping it merged; but it makes sense now.

>> Anyway, does trunk have a reverse gear?  I went ahead and moved
>> KernelTests-ar.171 and 172 to the Inbox, so we can merge them back in
>> to trunk once it represents 4.3.
>>
>> I hope this puts trunk back on on the 4.2 track.
>
> This is a really bad idea, because all trunk images that have those packages
> loaded are now in an inconsistent state. Also the version number won't
> identify the exact set of packages in the image, because different images
> with the same version number can co-exist now.

Oh, the version # is the sum of the package version numbers.  Thanks
for the reminder.

 - Chris