[squeak-dev] The Trunk: KernelTests-cmm.173.mcz

Levente Uzonyi leves at elte.hu
Sat Jan 8 00:36:46 UTC 2011

On Fri, 7 Jan 2011, Tobias Pape wrote:

> Am 2011-01-07 um 20:30 schrieb Chris Muller:
>>> ... Btw where did KernelTests-cmm.173 go? It's
>>> not in the Trunk.
>>
>> When I saw it didn't work, I deleted it from the trunk.
>>

> Sorry for ranting, but don't we have the Inbox for such experiment?

AFAIK the way the Trunk's update process works is not well documented.
There are some basic, but unwritten rules (e.g.: don't remove mczs from
the Trunk if you don't have to, don't break the update process, create a
new mcm to handle dependencies, run all tests with all the packages that
you're about to add to the Trunk, etc) which are not always followed.
I think we need much better documentation to have more active core
developers. A build server could also make our life simpler, but that
project seems to be stalled somewhere (maybe it's the java installation,
but that would be strange).

> No offence meant. However, I'd opt for such experiments first tested
> in Inbox.

That's exactly how it should be, but I'm not sure that automatic updates
can be fully tested from the Inbox.

> The same for 'The Trunk: KernelTests-ar.169.mcz' <20110107183315.28215gmx1 at mx087.gmx.net>,
> which even _states_ that this is experimental.

It was in the Inbox for twelve days, so the community had quite some
time to test it. Noone took the time to test it with SqueakVM or report
the problems before it was (implicitly) added to the Trunk.

Levente