[squeak-dev] About Squeak 4.1 Language Support

K. K. Subramaniam kksubbu.ml at gmail.com
Fri Jan 28 11:42:58 UTC 2011

On Friday 28 Jan 2011 10:14:43 am Eric wrote:
> And it still doesn't work, does it mean i need to import some fonts for it
> or other ways?
Were you able to inspect the decoded character values? If the decoding is
right then the issue is with fonts. See isFontAvailable and installFont
methods in LanguageEnvironment to see how to load language-specific fonts on
startup. GreekEnvironment and JapaneseEnvironment classes depend on such
external font files.

> Also another question is in Squeak4.1 what could i do to make sure the the
> language environment I use is chinese or some others?
What is your locale setting? Inspect:
    Locale current localeID

SimplifiedChineseEnvironment>>supportedLanguages contains 'zh'

> My understanding now in Squeak4.1 that the default language is UTF8 or
> Unicode, where could i do the switch?
Unfortunately not, because of the need for backward compability across
multiple OSes and platforms. To select the right converter, use class side
methods in SimplifiedChineseEnvironment. See JapaneseEnvironment for help.

> I am just a beginner on Squeak Smalltalk, please correct me if I make any
> mistakes on understanding
Generally, requests to this mailing list receive brief responses. If you need
more detail, you could try the beginners mailing list. Squeak needs people
like to you to increase support for Chinese locales.

Subbu