[squeak-dev] History of ObjectsAsMethods?

Alejandro F. Reimondo aleReimondo at smalltalking.net
Thu Oct 13 12:51:50 UTC 2011

Hi,
As I know, the very first reference and implementation made
 public for Squeak was mine, based on private developments
 for other smalltalk platform and implemented in public media
 as minimal changes to Squeak VM (it was under a name
 like non-compiledMethods).
The main idea was based in the fact that methods are objects
 (as required by reflection features and underlying machinery),
 and if we use an object of any class to implement behavior
 it is legal and the responsibility to resolve the understanding
 of the message (as part of the contract assumed when message
 was received) if for that object...
That kind of reasoning was discused many times in
 Smalltalking list (www.smalltalking.net), talks about Object
 Ambiences and before, in regional meetings (in Latin America)
 related with Object Technology, looong time ago (+15years)
In a decade++ we have reflected in other topics of interest
 based on the concept that smalltalk change (contents)
 without loosing identity; so we are still naming Smalltalk to
 media that reveal us evolution, preserving it's identity
 (... name).
As the ideas and implementation was made public without
 any copyright conditions there was people that has taken the
 idea and implementation as sources for inspiration without
 mention the origins.
Hope this bits of history are useful to draw one path
 of the set of histories related with this "technique",
Ale.