[squeak-dev] Installing Filetree

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Thu Jul 19 20:16:06 UTC 2012

On 19.07.2012, at 13:10, H. Hirzel wrote:

> On 7/19/12, Bert Freudenberg <bert at freudenbergs.de> wrote:

>>> OK, I now did this.
>>>
>>> As step 0 I did the Windows installation of git following this link
>>>
>>> http://windows.github.com/
>>>
>>> In the installation instruction
>>>
>>> https://github.com/dalehenrich/filetree/blob/master/doc/SqueakInstall.md
>>> you have three parts
>>>
>>> 1) I choose the 'Git shell' from the 'Start menu'
>>>
>>> I execute
>>> C:\Documents and Settings\Hannes\My
>>> Documents\GitHub\filetree\repository\Baselin
>>> eOfFileTree.package>git clone -b squeak4.3
>>> https://github.com/dalehenrich/filetr
>>> ee.git
>>>
>>> OK
>>>
>>> 2) In Squeak I do as FileTree bootstrap
>>>
>>> Installer ss3
>>>       project: 'FileTree';
>>>       install: 'MonticelloFileTree-Core.squeak43-dkh.70.mcz'.
>>>

>>> OK
>>>

>>> 3) I want to load the FileTree code I got from github
>>>
>>> Installer monticello
>>>       mc: (MCFileTreeRepository directory:
>>>               (FileDirectory uri: 'C:\Documents and
>>> Settings\Hannes\My Documents\GitHub\filetree\'));
>>>       install: 'MonticelloFileTree-Core'
>>

>> Use FileDirectory on: not uri: if you give it a path.
>>
>> (my original example used a relative path with uri: which to me was more
>> convenient than having to specify an absolute path)
>
> As you suggest I now use as point 3
>
> Installer monticello
>        mc: (MCFileTreeRepository directory:
>                (FileDirectory on: 'C:\Documents and
> Settings\Hannes\My Documents\GitHub\filetree\'));
>        install: 'MonticelloFileTree-Core'
>
> FAILURE
> I still get a walkback

Without seeing the debug log that does not tell us anything.

> (FileDirectory on: 'C:\Documents and Settings\Hannes\My
> Documents\GitHub\filetree\') inspect
>
> OK, gives
> DosFileDirectory on 'C:\Documents and Settings\Hannes\My
> Documents\GitHub\filetree'
>

> (MCFileTreeRepository directory:
>                (FileDirectory on: 'C:\Documents and
> Settings\Hannes\My Documents\GitHub\filetree\')) inspect
>
> OK, gives

So why don't you debug it and figure out what the problem is? It is way easier for you to hit the debug button than for us to guess, since you are on the Windows machine and can just look at it.

- Bert -