[squeak-dev] MC accessing 'source/squeak.org' fails with 301/301 type error

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Wed Sep 18 18:01:17 UTC 2013

Thanks Tobias,

On Wed, Sep 18, 2013 at 05:37:05PM +0200, Tobias Pape wrote:
> Am 18.09.2013 um 17:31 schrieb "David T. Lewis" <lewis at mail.msen.com>:

> >> Tobias just added some redirect handling but perhaps not in all places.
> >>
> >> However, what exactly do you expect from MC accessing source.squeak.org, which is not a repository?
> >>

> > Only very slightly off topic I hope:
> >
> > I am bringing squeaksource.com up on box3.squeak.org, running on port 8888.
> > I am a newbie on Apache and I am trying to figure out how to set it up.
> >
> > The original config file from squeaksource.com (the real one that is running
> > at SCG) has these rules:
> >

> >        RewriteEngine On
> >
> >        RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} ^/@.* [NC]
> >        RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT} (bot|seeker|search) [NC]
> >        RewriteRule . - [F,L]
> >
> >        RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} !^/squeaksource/.*$ [NC]
> >        RewriteRule ^/(.*)$ http://localhost:8888/$1 [P,L]
> >

> > So now I want to test it on box3 by arranging for http://box3.squeak.org
> > to map requests to the service running on port 8888. This would be just
> > for testing so I can make sure it works before trying to mess around with
> > the real URLs.
> >
> > I tried doing this (just as a wild guess) and it did not seem to work:
> >
> >        RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} !^/box3/.*$ [NC]
>
> This one must match the path on the server.
> The Idea is that you have the image _just listeingin on localhost:8888_
> and the public proxy (apache/nginx/whatever) just forwarding to that
> thing (this is what this line does:)
>
> >        RewriteRule ^/(.*)$ http://localhost:8888/$1 [P,L]

Yes, this is how the image is configured. It is a copy of the actual squeaksource.com
image, with only a few changes that I made to correct problems with repository

I installed it in /home/ssdotcom/SqueakSource/ and the file and directory structure
below this is an exact copy of the files at squeaksource.com.

> > Can anyone tell me how to write a rule that would cause http://box3.squeak.org
> > to be mapped to the squeaksource service running on port 8888?
>

> First, arrange that squeaksource is the default seaside app in the image
> so that it responds to requests on /.

I believe that this is the current configuration (although I am away and cannot
check anything in the image right now). The image is currently running on
box3.squeak.org:8888 and squeaksource is the default application.

> Then, just use the first (with On) and the last Rewrite-statement.

I am attaching a copy of the /etc/apache2/sites-available/squeaksource.com file.
This is a copy of the one that SCG provided to us, and I am trying to edit it
so that it will work on box3.squeak.org. Can you please take a look at this file
and tell me if it looks right to you?

In the future, the public URL will be squeaksource.com, but of course for now
that URL is in use for the real squeaksource.com. I want to set up the Apache
configuration so that it will work when we switch the real URL, but in advance
of that I want to test it to make sure it is actually going to work.

> Best
> 	-Tobias

Thanks for your help :-)

Dave

-------------- next part --------------

<VirtualHost *:80>

        RewriteEngine On
        ProxyPreserveHost On

        ServerName www.squeaksource.com
        ServerAlias squeaksource.com
	# Tue Sep 17 14:07:24 CEST 2013 TODO: original admin was scg,
	# change it to lewis for now, but it should probably go to box-admins
	#SCG ServerAdmin scg at iam.unibe.ch
	ServerAdmin lewis at mail.msen.com

        #SCG DocumentRoot /srv/SqueakSource
	DocumentRoot /home/ssdotcom/SqueakSource

	# error logs
	#SCG ErrorLog /var/log/apache2/squeaksource-error.log
	#SCG CustomLog /var/log/apache2/squeaksource-access.log vhost_combined
	ErrorLog ${APACHE_LOG_DIR}/squeaksource-error.log
	CustomLog ${APACHE_LOG_DIR}/squeaksource-access.log combined

	# Tue Sep 17 14:09:04 CEST 2013 not sure who this is or was, but they
	# probably earned the distinction so leave it here.
	<Location />
	    Deny from 50.194.156.78
	</Location>

        RewriteEngine On

	RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} ^/@.* [NC]
	RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT} (bot|seeker|search) [NC]
	RewriteRule . - [F,L]

        RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} !^/squeaksource/.*$ [NC]
        RewriteRule ^/(.*)$ http://localhost:8888/$1 [P,L]

        LogLevel warn
</VirtualHost>