[squeak-dev] MC accessing 'source/squeak.org' fails with 301/301 type error

Tobias Pape Das.Linux at gmx.de
Thu Sep 19 17:41:41 UTC 2013

Hi
Am 18.09.2013 um 20:01 schrieb David T. Lewis <lewis at mail.msen.com>:

> Thanks Tobias,
>
> On Wed, Sep 18, 2013 at 05:37:05PM +0200, Tobias Pape wrote:

>>> Only very slightly off topic I hope:
>>>
>>> I am bringing squeaksource.com up on box3.squeak.org, running on port 8888.
>>> I am a newbie on Apache and I am trying to figure out how to set it up.
>>>
>>> The original config file from squeaksource.com (the real one that is running
>>> at SCG) has these rules:
>>>

>>>       RewriteEngine On
>>>
>>>       RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} ^/@.* [NC]
>>>       RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT} (bot|seeker|search) [NC]
>>>       RewriteRule . - [F,L]
>>>
>>>       RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} !^/squeaksource/.*$ [NC]
>>>       RewriteRule ^/(.*)$ http://localhost:8888/$1 [P,L]
>>>

>>> So now I want to test it on box3 by arranging for http://box3.squeak.org
>>> to map requests to the service running on port 8888. This would be just
>>> for testing so I can make sure it works before trying to mess around with
>>> the real URLs.
>>>
>>> I tried doing this (just as a wild guess) and it did not seem to work:
>>>
>>>       RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} !^/box3/.*$ [NC]
>>
>> This one must match the path on the server.
>> The Idea is that you have the image _just listeingin on localhost:8888_
>> and the public proxy (apache/nginx/whatever) just forwarding to that
>> thing (this is what this line does:)
>>
>>>       RewriteRule ^/(.*)$ http://localhost:8888/$1 [P,L]
>>>

> Yes, this is how the image is configured. It is a copy of the actual squeaksource.com
> image, with only a few changes that I made to correct problems with repository

Ok, then I know this image.

> I installed it in /home/ssdotcom/SqueakSource/ and the file and directory structure
> below this is an exact copy of the files at squeaksource.com.

Ok.

>>> Can anyone tell me how to write a rule that would cause http://box3.squeak.org
>>> to be mapped to the squeaksource service running on port 8888?
>>

>> First, arrange that squeaksource is the default seaside app in the image
>> so that it responds to requests on /.
>
> I believe that this is the current configuration (although I am away and cannot
> check anything in the image right now). The image is currently running on
> box3.squeak.org:8888 and squeaksource is the default application.

good.

>> Then, just use the first (with On) and the last Rewrite-statement.
>>

> I am attaching a copy of the /etc/apache2/sites-available/squeaksource.com file.
> This is a copy of the one that SCG provided to us, and I am trying to edit it
> so that it will work on box3.squeak.org. Can you please take a look at this file
> and tell me if it looks right to you?

It looks exactly as the scg one with your obvious changes :)

> In the future, the public URL will be squeaksource.com, but of course for now
> that URL is in use for the real squeaksource.com. I want to set up the Apache
> configuration so that it will work when we switch the real URL, but in advance
> of that I want to test it to make sure it is actually going to work.

Well, the ServerName and ServerAlias really have to match the public DNS name
when we use <VirtualHost *:80>. Apache then checks the host header and matches
against that ServerName/Alias. What are the logs?  (squeaksource-error.log)

shouldn't we move this to box-admins?

Best
	-Tobias