[squeak-dev] Services, Universes, SqueakMap browser all seem broken in 4.5

Colin Putney colin at wiresong.com
Wed Apr 9 19:30:07 UTC 2014

On Wed, Apr 9, 2014 at 1:37 PM, Chris Muller <asqueaker at gmail.com> wrote:

> Except for a proxy bug which needs fixed, I'd love to know how you
> would possibly improve it even if you could do so by the mere snap of
> your finger.  Because I wanted the best of both worlds.  I want 1) the
> ability to clean / reduce an image, 2) WITHOUT losing the ability to
> retrieve the ancestry.  Oh, and 3) it'd be nice if I didn't have to do
> a special UI operation to "retrieve the ancestry", just have the
> system retrieve it automatically please only if I do something in the
> IDE that requires it.
>
> Again, assuming all the proxy-bugs fixed, what more could one want in
> terms of meeting all the demands we want as developers?

How about not downloading megabytes of data from the network when I didn't
tell it to do that? Tim stumbled over the proxies in a completely different
way than I did, and was similarly surprised at what happened. Proxies are a
useful tool, but they should be kept in the bottom of the toolbox and only
used in special circumstances. The vanilla image shouldn't have proxies.

 Colin