[squeak-dev] Re: Squeak 4.5 Windows right-click debacle

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Sat Aug 30 12:05:37 UTC 2014

On 30.08.2014, at 12:35, Marcel Taeumel <marcel.taeumel at student.hpi.uni-potsdam.de> wrote:

> "Middle buttons" are clickable mouse wheels. At most, a click here starts a
> scroll-by-move mode.

Actually you can set the wheel-click to produce a real middle-button-click event (instead of the useless scroll menu thingy). Which is what you should do as a Smalltalker ;) Even my Apple Magic Mouse (the one without any buttons) is set to produce real middle and right click events.

What Frank was referring to is that Microsoft labels its mouse buttons 1-3-2 so the "second" mouse button is on the right. This is really the source of all the confusion.

What the VM needs to give you is red-yellow-blue for left-middle-right. See the FAQ http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/897

Our image's swapMouseButtons preference is enabled by default. That is correct, in Squeak we want the right mouse button to bring up the context menu (yellow). In Etoys, it is disabled, right-click gives you the halo (blue).

I think what needs to change is the Windows VM's default mapping.

Not quite sure about the modifier processing in EventSensor>>processEvent:. The button swapping is done via ButtonDecodeTable, but then the modifier (ctrl/alt) mapping is applied (except if on a Mac, because the Mac VM's Info.plist file lets you specify exactly which color should be generate for which button-modifier combo). And then it is applied again in processMouseEvent: to make the MVC buttons. Do the Windows and Linux VMs still rely on that?

- Bert -