[squeak-dev] [ANN] Fuel 1.9.3

Max Leske maxleske at gmail.com
Wed Feb 26 21:13:17 UTC 2014

Dear fellow Smalltalkers

Mariano, Martin and myself are happy to announce Fuel version 1.9.3 which includes the follwing changes to 1.9 (1.9.1 and 1.9.2 were never officially announced):

- (feature) the #fuelReplacement selector offers the ability to statically replace an object (e.g. with nil) during analysis. This can lead to significantly smaller graphs and improved speed when serializing large graphs
- (feature) serialize the same graph that was analyzed instead of retrazing the graph during serialization. This prevents changes in the graph from happening between analysis and serialization
- (change) store source when serializing CompiledMethod objects. Needed because Opal does not allow decompilation
- (fix) migrate variables across hierarchy
- (feature) Object>>serializeToFileNamed: shortcut for serializing arbitrary objects
- (fix) better compression for LargeNegativeIntegers (https://pharo.fogbugz.com/f/cases/12052/Fuel-could-store-LargeNegativeInteger-up-to-32bits-magnitude)

Pharo30 already includes most of these changes (integration request: https://pharo.fogbugz.com/f/cases/13000/Integrate-Fuel-1-9-3).

This release runs with:
- Pharo: 1.1.1, 1.1.2, 1.2, 1.2.2, 1.3, 1.4, 2.0, 3.0
- Squeak: 4.1, 4.2, 4.3, 4.4, 4.5

The documentation is not up to date yet but we will remedy that situatoin within the next couple of days (http://rmod.lille.inria.fr/web/pier/software/Fuel).